I know, I know. This is one of those organizing subjects that lacks a certain pizazz. Folding sheets? Yawn.
Although this chore tends to be uninspiring and downright boring, the end result can bring so much satisfaction. Please, don’t tell me I’m the only who feels giddy at the sight of a perfectly squared stack of linens.
Regardless, we can all agree on at least one thing: Fitted sheets are the absolute worst to fold. It’s like trying to wrestle a diaper onto a squirming baby. You move one part, the other part shifts out of place. You’re left sweating and thinking about how you’re too old to fold fitted sheets, and you’ll never buy another one. But then you see how cute it looks all bundled up, and you forget the exhaustion and want five more, uh, fitted sheets.
Anyway, this folding technique is so easy, you’ll never go back to your old method, whatever that might be. (Mine wasn’t pretty.) So, let’s get started:
1. Spread the sheet out with the fitted corners up. Fold the sheet in half, bringing the two short ends together. Tuck the fitted corners and sides into each other.
2. Fold in half again and tuck the fitted corners and sides into each other.
3. Fold into thirds, hiding the elastic edge.
4. Fold again in thirds to form a rectangle.
5. Fold the coordinating flat sheet into a rectangle of the same dimensions. Stack on top of the fitted sheet and wrap both with the pillowcases, also folded into thirds.
6. Stack neatly in your linen closet so that all sheet sets are visible.
Doesn’t that sight just do your heart good? All those clean lines and crisp folds… Sigh.
Now, go give your own fitted sheets a little TLC!